Today the Finance Minister, Vic Fedeli, tabled our Government’s first Budget. Its an exciting day for all Ontarians and for the people of Ottawa West – Nepean.
Our Government was elected on a promise to get our provincial finances under control so that we can protect the services that we rely on, like education and healthcare. That’s why our Budget commits to returning to balance in a reasonable timeline of 5 years.
While we balance the budget, we will continue to invest millions of dollars in education, healthcare, and social services.
Some key highlights include:
- Reaffirming our commitment to fund Ottawa’s LRT Stage 2
- Committing to digitizing many of the government services we rely on (like driver’s licenses)
- Introducing a CARE Tax Credit to provide support to low- and mid-income families with the costs of childcare
- Providing an additional $2 million to the Ottawa Police to help keep our streets safe
- Investing additional support to CHEO
- Introducing dental care for low-income seniors
I’m excited about today’s Budget. It provides a reasonable path to balance to ensure that younger generations aren’t saddled with unsustainable debt, while also making the investments we need to protect the services we need most.